Friday, November 11, 2011

A Tale of Three Quilt Shops

(And of three classes)

I’m going to start with the disappointing experience first, but the other two are not in any sort of judgmental order.

Fat Quarter Quilting in Coon Rapids

While visiting Fat Quarter for the first time during the Harvest Sampler Quilt Shop Hop, I signed up for a paper piecing block of the month and two Friday evenings of open sewing.  I really enjoy blocks of the month programs and although I can sew at home on Friday evenings, I’m trying to make new friends and be more social.

The block of the month program had already started (just one month), but since I really like paper piecing, I thought I’d sign up and learn some new tricks.  The other BOMs that I am doing are all very social and new shop items – fabrics, books, tools – are always demoed.  I expected the same of this one.

The first sewing Friday evening was one week after the Shop Hop.  I went to work with my sewing machine and projects tucked into my trunk, left early and headed to the shop.  I am a contractor and working an overtime job, so leaving work early means giving up billable hours.  This was hobby, and socialization, so giving up pay didn’t matter as much.

I walked into the shop and it was empty except for the person working….. hmmm….

“I’m here for the sewing evening”

She got a look of panic on her face and started apologizing.  She grabbed a discount card and punched it all out while telling me that they’d cancelled it but had forgotten to call me.

Disappointing, but these things happen, right?

Three weeks later, just this past Monday, was the second meeting of the BOM.  I went in with my block done, and once again the store was a dead zone.  I was only about five minutes early.  I asked about the BOM and was directed to the back room where one woman – the instructor – was already there.  Two more people arrived shortly after. 

The instructor was new; she’d just taken over for someone else.  She had not done the blocks – either Month One, or the Month Two being introduced.  She had, however, done block three… ??  But she didn’t show it.  She and the shop steward conferred, dug out the box for the BOM and even had to make up another packet for me. 

Hello???  There were THREE people there and you didn’t have enough pre-made packets?

There was then awkward conversation for about 15 minutes, and then the class was over.  It lasted that long because I asked a few questions and tried to draw it out longer…. To no avail.  There were no demos, no show and tell, no hints, nothing.

I left thinking I would go back the next month, but not again if it was just as bad.

I may, however, rethink that after Chapter Three in this saga.

Tonight was the next Friday sewing night that I’d signed up for.  Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me…. To avoid that, I looked at the website – Yup, still on the calendar.  I packed up my car last night, and once again planned to leave work early.

Hmmm, what if?  So, I called the store.  Remember, the event is STILL on their online calendar.

Nope, she had no idea what I was talking about.  Apparently, there’s some bus tour tomorrow and the Friday event was once again cancelled….

I’m signed up for it….

No one called me….

AAARRRGHH…. That is no way to run a business. 

Bear Patch Quilt Shop in White Bear

I took a Mariner’s compass class there that spanned over two weeks.  Janelle was the instructor.  Note:  she showed a bunch of samples at the beginning AND has a quilt hanging in the shop; she does excellent work.  I wrote about this class in a previous posting.   Yes, I know I promised pictures.  The block is packed up, in the trunk of my car, from the Friday night sewing that I did NOT go to…. I’ll unpack tomorrow.

Janell was knowledgeable, thoughtful and skilled.  I really enjoyed the class partially because of her and partially because of the group. 

People talked to me, we shared tips and tricks, as well as kid stories and complaints about husbands.

I like to use a tweezers for removing paper when paper piecing.  I’m largely self taught and just started doing that.  Sometimes NOT reading something in a book or being instructed on technique teaches you some things that are off label solutions.  I shared my tweezers with the woman next to me and she really like the tip!

Later in the evening, while I was packing up, the same woman returned my hand needle to me.  Apparently she or someone else through her, had borrowed it while I was looking through the store.  She also said that they’d borrowed my tweezers again.

On the surface, this seems a little like taking without asking, and that I should be bothered…

Oh no, quite the contrary…..

This was me being accepted by the group!

The stuff was in the open, and it wasn’t like they were using up anything – this was tools.  I love to share!  I love being valued!  This was great; I wasn’t the awkward new girl (woman) sitting off to the side.  I was one of the group and they felt comfortable using my things.  I’m sure they would have asked had I been at my seat.

Where was I though?  I was tromping through the store looking at things.  And buying….

I’m taking classes to use up stash.  In one of my BOMs, I’ve sworn to ONLY use existing fabric (see this post), but there I am buying more?!?

Bear Patch has a TON of the Stonehenge fabrics.  I really, really want to make something with it.  I saw a class (hang on, I’ll mention it in the next section) that called for 24 fat quarters.  So, I bought them.  Now I have to take the other class.

I’m hesitant in buying anything else at Fat Quarter Quilting (even though I have that punched out discount card) because I really don’t like supporting a business that doesn’t seem to value me.  I apparently didn’t have that same feeling at Bear Patch….


The class that I bought the 24 fat quarters for is a curved piecing class at Calla Lily.  I posted about them last week and their Professional Tote class. 

I had been going back and forth in my mind about taking the curved piecing class.  It’s something I want to do – think outside my geometric, straight lines, box – but its two Wednesday evenings and means taking off from work at a decent time which can be difficult.  However, I’ve put nearly $75 into some awesome fabrics – I have to do it!

I called to the shop and got Kathy.  I asked if there was still room, and mentioned that I’d been there the weekend before for the Professional Tote class.  She stumbled a moment on my name, but REMEMBERED who I was!!

Oh, that just thrilled me. 

That shows that the business values their customers.

Conclusion

I’m looking for more classes at Bear Patch and Calla Lily.  I’m valued at them.  Fat Quarter… jury is still out, but it’s looking pretty bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment