Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Professional Tote


For background:  I'm refereing to this pattern.

I consider myself an advanced quilter.  However,  a lot of that is because I do my own patterns and I’m great at things that are organized and geometric.  Where I fail is clothing, bags, etc.  I’ll give myself a little bit of break though – directions in patterns (especially bags) – can be poorly written.  Also in my defense – that opinion is shared amongst many quilters.  I remember a retreat with my group in which a particular bag was done by many and cursed by all; it was group effort to wade through the printed pattern and achieve a result that resembled the sample seen in a shop.

I’d heard similar things about the professional tote, and thus decided to do it in a class setting.  Please read my previous day's post for some of my trials and tribulations in getting there.

Class was today.  It started at 9:00 am and I made it only a few minutes late.  I had cut out and prepped all the pieces for TWO bags and decided to work on them simultaneously.  I sew rapidly and pick up instructions well, so I decided to try and be an over achiever.

Class was scheduled until 4:00, but we kept sewing;  the instructor – Joanne at Calla Lily Quilt shop – made the determination that no one was leaving until their bag was done.  She felt that it was unfair to teach the basics and then send people home to finish.  I was very grateful for this because the two steps that I had the most trouble with were the very last step and one about 3-4 back from the final.

Side note:  this was my first experience with Calla Lily.  The space was small, but well setup and the amenities provided.  Joanne the instructor was knowledgable and pleasant.  Kathy the owner was around during the class.  Her interaction was minimal (which is very good since she wasn't teaching), but she listened to what was going on and reacted as needed.  At one point, I mentioned that I didn't have the cord locks I needed.  Without me truly asking, she fetched the from stock and brought them to me.

I worked on both bags, and kept up (even ahead of two people working on one bag each!) until I had most of the lining assembled (the outside part was first and I did finish both those).  At that time, I decided that time was getting late and that switching colors of thread was more necessary.  I’d hit the point where there was more obvious top stitching and felt I would go quicker working on one. 

Here is my finished bag:




 A small glance at the inside.  You cannot see too well, but it is lined in orange!


Conclusion:

I highly recommend this bag to people.  I realize that it’s been around a while, and isn’t as trendy of a pattern to do as it once was, but it’s even more timely a product to have.  I’m going to start carrying this in place of a purse.  My ipad will go in the center zippered pouch.  I do, however, strongly suggest doing it with another person who's experienced in the directions; either a friend or a class setting.

Here are my tips and tricks:

·    I made all the pockets in my bags because I’d cut out all the pieces and didn’t want to waste fabric.  Honestly, if I make more, I’ll be leaving off the pleated pocket on the inside.  It’s a lot of work for what it is and I cannot see using it too much. 

·    The straps were piece from 4-inch fabric strips and also took a lot of time to press and sew.  I know a store in Minneapolis – Crafty Planet – that sells colored webbing.  I believe it is 100% cotton.  I would do that for straps if I made the bag again instead of taking the time with the fabric and stitching

·    Cord locks – really cool, but I’m going to look online for colors.  Black is all I found at the quilt shop and white at Joann’s.  Interestingly enough – the Joann’s ones were more expensive and not as nice looking (Dritz brand)

·    Rat tail cord for the side pockets – definitely go to a craft store (Joann’s) and buy in the color of your fabric.  I really liked the look compared to the black cording most people used.

·    Interfacing.  I used a stiff, bondable, thin pellon.  The sample bag that the instructor had was made with a fusible thin batting that was much more flexible.  I did not like either one better than the other.  Different look and feel to each, but neither was bad.  However, next time I’m going to use a much thinner fusible, or even skip it, for the pocket pieces.

1 comment:

  1. Good post and tips and tricks. Maybe I will tackle another one since I gave my first one to my daughter-in-law for Christmas last year. She can use it as a baby bag in January.

    ReplyDelete