Saturday, October 22, 2011

Scrap Taming

I mentioned before in this blog about the “Scrap Tamers” club (similar to a Block of the Month club) that I went to at a local quilt shop.  Well, I’ve joined the group again this year (I skipped a couple years) and I have some new goals!  The club itself has also morphed a bit.  When it started, the format was to meet each month and get a new clue for a mystery quilt.  Each month’s clue would encompass a different technique and a mini class would be taught focusing on that. 

This year, the club is Scrap Tamers and Marti Mitchell tools.  There is a mystery, of which we get a clue each month and also a second section focusing on a Marti Mitchell tool.  Along with the tool tutorial, we also receive a pattern that uses the tool.  (Note:  the patterns can also be done with standard quilting techniques – the tool is an aid, not a necessity). 

Since my scraps and small pieces are getting a little out of hand - Ok, I’ll be honest – ALL my fabric is getting out of hand – I’ve decided to personally challenge myself as well.  Instead of simply making the mystery out of fabric on hand, I’m going to make something out of each pattern each month.  My strict rule to myself is NO BUYING anything for it.  This includes backing and binding as well.  I can, however, use recently purchased fabric.

The Mystery

Status: 
Clue #1 – Complete (except for background)
Clue #2 - Complete

Clue #1:  This year, I’ve decided to do the mystery in black and red.  The first clue was cutting all the fabrics.  I finished cutting the reds and blacks, but I’m waffling a little on the background.  I am really thinking white.  However, clue number two didn’t dip into background, so I’m going to wait until clue three, or later.  I’d just like to get an idea of how things are looking.  I don’t consider that cheating with the mystery; I’m not peeking ahead at anything, just being a little flexible as things progress.

Clue#2:  This clue had us sewing together 2½ strips and then cutting them into three color rail fence blocks that are 6½ inches square.  Nothing too taxing there…. The clue used up all the longer pieces of fabric cut, so I’m guessing that the rest of the blocks will be a little more complicated.

Monthly Project #1

The monthly pattern given for the first month was for a quilt in sizes ranging from runner to queen using blocks that are basically two triangles.  One side is strips of color and the other is a solid triangle.  I chose to make a runner and to actually use scraps from cutting out all the pieces of my mystery.  I also used small pieces of black from my stash to fill in the triangles.


A black and red runner isn’t for everyone.  My mother dislikes it.  I think it’s rather striking.  Next steps are to pick out backing, quilt it and bind it.  I’m thinking black for the backing and then use pieces from my rolled scrap strips for a scrappy binding in reds.  Keeping with the “scrap” format of the club, I’m also going to piece my bat for this quilt from my scrap basket of batting.  Warm and White/Natural stitches together quite nicely and lies just as flat as fresh pieces from the roll.

Monthly Project #2

The second month’s pattern is fairly tradition in its blocks and layout.  Traditional really isn’t me.  I have decided to address that by going very wild on the fabrics.  I have two recent additions to my stash that have been lying in the “must do something with” bin.

First, the pattern calls for a floral focus fabric that is used in the center of the blocks in 4½ squares.  I just bought ½ yard of a black background with very bright circles and rings on it.  They are all high impact colors.  It’s also got a border design along one side.  I’m going to cut my squares from it and then use the border piece for something… not sure what yet.  I’m going to make the quilt in the table topper/wall hanging size so I have a couple ideas.

Idea One – incorporate the border on the backing as a sort of label.

Idea Two – use the border pieces (and some filler as I only have 18 inches) as an additional row on the bottom, beneath the actually pattern.  Maybe pull it to a point or something like that.

Next – the rest of the fabrics in the quilt (except for background) are meant to complement the focus fabric.  The other piece in my must use pile is orange metallic/batik like fabric.  It’s patterned but truly reads as a solid.  I think it will really enhance the wild print.  Now I just have to dig for a couple other bright fabrics for the other parts.

Last – background…. I’m a little stuck here.  Do I use black since my focus fabric is black background?  Or will things just blend too much?  Do I use white for a stark contrast?  Or do I use a light shade of one of the high impact colors in the focus fabric? 

You’ll just have to wait and see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment