Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mariner's Compass

I don't feel much like writing tonight, so I'm going to fill in with pictures.....

A couple of weeks ago, I took a class at Bear Patch Quilting on the Mariner’s Compass pattern.  I promised pictures and updates – so here goes.

Following my promise to myself to start using more stash, I bought nothing for the class; only grabbed some complimentary fabrics that I already had.  Since the class, I decided to make a full sized quilt using Mariner’s Compass blocks, but not to make the blocks the same – not even the same size.

The class taught me some tips and tricks for this semi-complicated style of blocks.  Then, I have a Carol Doak collection of Mariner’s Compass blocks in a program on my computer.  It allows me to print any of them in any size I want.  I’ve designed a quilt with 26 Mariner’s compass blocks.  The range in diameter from 4 inches (the finished circle part) to 20 inches.  The original block made in class was 12 inches – finished to and 18 inch square with the border around the circle.

Here are the pictures of my progress so far:

The original block from class:



Some more blocks that will finish to 18 inches square like the original:  












With few exceptions, the blocks will have appliquéd center circles like the original.  I have not yet gotten those centers done.  That’s a project to do someday while watching a movie.

A very large block – this will finish to 28 inches square.  It will be the largest block.  I’m not putting it in the center of the however;  there will be no symmetry to the quilt.



Here are some of the smallest blocks that will be in the quilt.  These will be squared to 8 inches.


1 comment: