Sunday, January 20, 2013

Feeling Creative


Today’s accomplishment is that I did NOT blow the circuit. 

This is actually quite a big deal…

Really!

Background – those who know me know that I am incapable of taking care of myself.  I lock myself out, possess little common sense, etc.  I am brilliant in my own ways, and am (I think) a good artist.  I hold a pretty good job, and do well at it; I am just not cut out to live alone.  My dear husband takes VERY good care of me and I think I return the favor in different ways (Race cars people – get your minds out of the gutter…. J )

It is Minnesota, and we have a fairly large and very old house.  The wiring is interesting and we keep it cool.  We have a room-sized space heater in the living room right now since it is so cold.  ANYTHING else on that circuit will cause a problem.  That circuit is also where I usually use the iron when I am quilting.

I am so proud of myself, without my hubby even being home, I remembered that fact, and plugged the iron into a different circuit, instead of the usual spot.

Quilting Again

Why was I using the iron?

Please tell me you did not think it for ironing clothes…  cue hysterical laughter

No, it was for QUILTING!  After quite a hiatus, I have dragged out my quilting things and have dug in.  I have been buying fabric (and doing some bindings) but it is high time that I start reducing the stash rather than just continuing to add to it!

I cannot talk about the current two projects or show pictures as they are gifts… more to come.

Glass Work 

Advertising Help Needed 


I have not sold anything yet.  I am not doing any advertising, etc.  It was basically setup to help me organize, but now I have so much glass work and I really need to get moving on this. 

So, here is my deal to my friends and readers.  Help me.  Prove to me that you are helping me.  (I need some ideas on that… ) and I will give you a glass pendant of your choice.  I do not have a real plan for this yet…..

If someone buys something from me and you referred them, tell me.  If you put some ads out for me on a site that generate some traffic (not even buys, just traffic) show me… etc. 

Any ideas anyone?

Millefiori 

Millefiori has been my life lately.  I have bought a bunch of these tiny little glass pieces and I am arranging them into cool things.  You may have seen my necklace of several posts back that was made of five glass components – three made with millefiori and two with glass and frit.  I am currently making a LOT of those components and will start putting them together into pieces.

It is a several step process:  
  • Designing and arranging.  It takes patience to put 3 to 10 mm little pieces onto small squares and rectangles of glass.
  • Firing
  • Examining and grinding sharp edges, etc.
  • Re-Firing to remove grind marks, fire polish, etc.

In my usual Friday night studio time this week, I filled up the small jewelry kiln with about 70 pieces!  I picked them up today and have made notes on which I want to touch up.  I also have determined that I need to buy some smaller bails for earrings as well as connecting pieces in a necklace.

Here is a picture of the kiln filled:


I will spare you the 100 or so individual pictures of things pre firing, post firing, etc.  Most of them are crappy and do not show a lot of detail.  I have documented them for my purposes but I would just bore you with them here.

Here are a couple – pre and post firing – just to give you a taste!  When I have some completed pieces, I will post them here. 

  • Three pieces, the first is two millefiori on a base (two were made, this picture is of one) and the second is six millefiori on a base.  The millefiori is a blue/orange/white/black flower pattern and the bases are white.  The first two pictures are pre-firing and the third is post.  They will be a pendant and earring set.



  • Two pieces.  Both are identical.  There are ten different millefiori on a green base.  Pre and post firing pictures.  I have no plans with these yet.  Maybe combine with a larger piece - one on each side - for a necklace.




  • I've made three of these.  There are 17 millefiori pieces on a green base.  The first picture is two of them pre-firing.  The second picture is one of them after TWO firings.  I ground the edges and put it back in the kiln for more rounding.  The third picture is of the finished one (in the middle) and the other two prior to their second firings.  No plans yet with these.





  • This is a larger piece - pictures are pre and post firing - with several sizes of millefiori on it.  This one will be ground and re-fired to get rid of the sharp edges. 




  • The orange "Marmo" millefiori are my favorites as to how they behave.  I also like the white base glass best.  It behaves nicely and doesn't need more grinding after firing.  This is three larger millefiori on a base.  Look in the post firing picture as to how the glass rounds nicely and the millefiori spreads.  I've already made several more of these because the studio owner has asked me to sell some of the specifically!




  • These are very similar to the above.  I just swapped out the middle millefiori and added little ones around the sides to create a busier look.  Are they not just so nicely rounded?!




Wire 

I also mentioned that I have been experimenting with wire in glass.  I have been using my scrap glass mostly.  Some of the pieces are bad because of what that glass does/doesn't do, but it has been a great learning experience.

My biggest learn is that wire creates nasty bubbles if tightly coiled/larger pieces. 

Nasty bubbles….

Not the nice pretty little ones that are pleasant to see in glass.

Nasty, nasty!

Wire should be used sparingly, with little twists and curves, and have sufficient space between them to allow for glass melt.








I have used copper wire on all of these – which either turns dull silver colored or takes on some light shades with the glass.  My next step is to move onto silver wire, which looks far better in glass.  It is, however, considerably more expensive.  I think I am ready though…..

I am also ready for bed, so I am ending this diatribe here!  I promise to write more soon

No comments:

Post a Comment