Sunday, October 19, 2014

Various Art Updates


Book Project

 <jumping up and down!!!>

A master quilter who has published two books already sent out an email to a select group of people - including me – to help test patterns for her new book.  She will be putting many of the quilts the testers make into the book!!!

I can’t tell you who she is, or what the project is, or show you what I made…..

It’s white, mauve/pinks, and greens.  I designed a quilt based on her technique.  The design is my own except for one piece that is based on her technique.  The layout is all mine.  I quilted it on my juki with some fun quilting, and I hand stitched the binding.  The cats helped quite a bit <sarcasm> and I have to put it through a dryer cycle to take off cat hair before I send it in. It’s about 40 inches square.

That’s all I can say…..

Sorry….

I signed an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).  When she published, I can tell you more, and show pictures.

I will have a LOT to say about the whole process and pictures when she gives the “all clear”.  That might not be until spring, or even Summer….

However, I have to share my joy and excitement on this!!!!

Macro Photography

So, this started as my ONLY about quilting blog….

My other art forms quickly migrated in…

Here’s another: Photography!

I have a very nice DSL camera that I bought for myself as a MBA graduation present.  I didn’t buy top of the line, or professional, but I bought a very nice heavy user camera – Nikon D40.  At the time that I got it, Elinor and I were going to a lot of festivals and taking pictures of the athletes.  I wanted something that could take good action shots.  I also bought the first level of telephoto lenses for it.

However, I’ve always loved taking pictures of flowers and plants.  Since buying it, I’ve started to experiment with macro photography and taking arty shots of pretty wildlife (and some not so pretty!).  You can see a vast sampling of my attempts on my photobucket in this folder

Filters

Recently, I bought a set of filters for the camera. 

I have no idea what to do with them. 

I’ve carried them with me on a couple trips and they remain in their original packing.

I do this sort of thing a lot – I get very excited about something, buy the equipment, read about it, and then get scared to use it (see a later story here about wet saws).  It then sits for the longest time, and finally, I get the courage…..

And discover how easy it all was and feel like a fool!

So, to that end, Perry and I have plans to go to the Como Park conservatory (it’s indoors), and just spend a day shooting.

Wish me luck!!!

Care and Maintenance

I take pretty good care of the camera.  I have a nice, big case for it.  I have a couple card readers that go into a pocket, the charger goes into another (haven’t lost it yet!), and I even have a spare battery for it (especially needed since I have a habit of leaving the camera on).  I actually keep them charged. 

But…. I lose lens caps….

A lot….

This time, I got smart, and I bought five (so I could have backups)

However, I also bought the strings to attach them to the camera.

So, now that I have four backup lens caps, I’m not going to lose the one that’s attached for some time….

*sigh*

Glass

Beads

I am getting much better at making beads…. Really, I am, and I believe it!  I have faith in myself on this one thing.

When I first started making beads, I somehow wound up getting one of Malcom’s (the artist who owns the studio) beads in my returned batch.  It is a very nice, deep red, bi-cone shaped bead.  I know I should return it to him some day, but it’s become a measure for me.  It’s very well-shaped, large, and smooth.

When I first started making bi-cone shaped beads, they were very irregular.  They still have issues, and I struggle with getting the shape right.  However, as I keep comparing my beads to his – I’m seeing less and less of a gulf between them.  I know I’ll never be as good as him, but I think I’m developing my own style and I’m quite proud of it!.

Here’s a bunch of pictures of just the latest beads.


















I Have a Problem…..

I bought a bunch of glass rods for making beads.  I diligently watched Frantz Art Glass’s sales and bought at the best sale – 50% off many brands/colors and free shipping.  I tried to buy a wide range of colors and treated myself to a couple expensive colors, but didn’t go overboard and kept to mostly value items.

It still was a lot of glass…. I’m certainly set for a while!

Here’s what my collection looks like now… I have enough to make a LOT of beads….




Not that I don’t already have a lot of beads…..

Here’s what it looked like when I organized JUST the beads that I’ve made…. We won’t discuss how many other bins I have of beads….


Search for Pink

Despite the volume of that purchase…. I want a certain color…..

I can’t really name it….

Much less find it!

Sort of a dusty, deep mauve pink.  I want the pink version of this purple color.  Not solid, but more streaky like it.

Pink/reds are the MOST expensive colors in glass.  So I can’t just buy a whole bunch of things and try.

I found three at Frantz that may be what I want – two good possibilities, one not so much but would be a cool color to have.  But, let me explain the pricing.  If I buy ONE rod, of standard colors, it’s about $1 or a little less.  If I buy by the quarter pound, I usually get 5-6 rods for $3-$5.  The one pink color that I think is what I want is $5 per ounce.  They are special – hand pulled – so inconsistent is size.  Most rods of that color are 1.5 – 2.5 ounces.  This is the rod.

Possibly this one, which is closer to $4 for a standard rod:

And this is the third color.  It’s $5 for a quarter pound.  Reasonable, and I think I’ll get to have.

Fusing

I’m going to fire up my kiln and get back to doing some fusing.  I think this is going to fall into the same routine of me buying cool tools and then being afraid to use them.  Finally, I use them and realize how simple it was!

The Pink Color

Today, Perry and I went to JRing Glass.  I was actually trying to find a pink fusing glass color that I could cut into strips and try to make beads of.  I may actually try that with some glass I already have – a hand rolled mauve/pink/white mottled glass.  As long as I use only that glass (its 90 COE) and don’t add dots, or decorations with the 104 COE, I should be fine.  My only fear is that it will act a little differently in the annealing kiln.

But, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I found a couple colors of glass that I wanted to play with.  One was the pink that I’m looking for, and the other is a beautiful purple.   However, they are both “striking” colors.  The sheets are translucent and NOT the color that they wind up after they come out of the kiln. 

That scares me a little. 

Will they strike to the same color if I use them on the torch and then anneal them in the different temperature kiln?

Hmmmmm

Normally, I would buy some of each – the color I wanted for beads and the color that I love…..

But, this glass is EXPENSIVE

A 24 x 24 sheet of clear fusing glass is about $20-25, depending on thickness and clarity/pattern.  A 12 x 12 sheet of single color, simple fusing glass is $7-12, and going up from there for specialty colors. 

This glass is special size.  A 10 x 17 sheet of it is $50.  Some of the striking glasses had small pieces – 8 x 10 – that were priced at $25 or so, but the pink and the purple that I looked at didn’t come in those sizes.  I just couldn’t

So, the decision I made was to get the purple and try a strip or two on the torch to see if it works.  Then, I will use the rest to make myself a special fused piece since purple is MY color.  If it does work, then I may go back and get the pink and try that out too.

In other words – nothing lost!

Tea Light Mold

When I looked at the JRing website prior to going to the store, I noticed that they had some small draping molds on a special sale.  When we got there today, they had a display setup with them and showed a bunch of tea light holders made with them and just a single layer of glass.  Note:  you can “fuse” scrap/stained glass glass if you use ONLY that glass (can’t mix COEs).  That means I could use a lot of really cool glass (that’s also pretty cheap) and make some neat Christmas gifts. 

Perry tried to talk me into buying four of the molds so I could make more at a time in the kiln.  I settled and bought two of them.  I think that they will be my test of the kiln.

Rocks

I’ve been picking up a lot of rocks as I’ve been going to places that have some neat ones.  My plan has been to polish them.  A secondary plan has been to take that flat of red calcite that I bought in Tucson last February, cut it, and polish up the slices.  Back to the “Mary buys tools and then is afraid to use them discussion….”  I bought a wet saw at harbor freight with that sole purpose in mind.

I bought it last winter….

The box has sat unopened in the basement….

After the last round of picking up cool rocks, I went and bought a rock tumbler.

(Did you know that it takes one week per stage to tumble rocks and that there are FOUR stages!?)

So, I bit the bullet today.  Went to the basement and dragged up the box with the wet saw.

I didn’t realize however, that the box said “blade not included”….

A bad word was said…..

I went back to the basement and got the other wet saw.  (When I bought out that woman’s glass fusing setup (how I got the kiln), I also got all her tools, including a well-used wet saw that she used for cutting glass pattern bars. 

At one point, Chris called home:

“What are you doing” Said Chris, in a friendly, enquiring tone.

“I’m sitting on the kitchen floor surrounded by wet saws”

To my husband’s credit, he didn’t ask anything else, nor find that particularly unusual in the great scope of things that Mary does…..
Wet saw #2 (#1? Since it’s older), got dragged outside, I found my safety glass, grabbed a bunch of the calcite, and a spray bottle of water – the large, Home Depot sized bottle.

Lesson #1 learned:  Calcite crumbles when cut.

Oh well…..

Plan B:  what rocks have I collected and put by the small pond in the yard?

Answer:  some really neat ones that showed fantastic patterns when cut.

Lesson #2 learned:  go slowly whist cutting.  Even harder, solid rock will break off.

Lesson #3 learned:  wear the heavy duty work apron that Perry got me next time.

Current status:  The rock tumbler is 2/3 full of rocks (per guidelines) and is on the floor under the sideboard in the dining room where it will be for the next four weeks, rolling away……

Pictures will eventually be posted.

The End (for now)


No comments:

Post a Comment