Sunday, August 26, 2012

Empty Nest Syndrome

I used to do a lot more sewing… a lot more projects of all sorts actually… even when there were still children at home…. 

Something happened when hubby and I became empty nesters – I developed a much more encompassing social life!

I’m a little embarrassed to say that I’m way behind on my projects again due to going out…. J

However, this week, I have spent time on hobbies and with Labor Day weekend coming up, I intend to do more.

Last year, when hubby, daughter and I did our annual pilgrimage with my employer to a resort up north, I took along my Sylvia’s sampler bag and prepped a couple dozen blocks which I later assembled in our group time.  This year, instead of being good and spending down time at the resort doing that, I spent an extra hour in the Spa, indulged in drinks, bought a car, talked with the group more (even got called “fun”!)….

(Embarrassed face…)

Ok, not really – I had fun! 

And it’s ok that I have no Sylvia’s blocks prepped for the next group day; I may be going to Chicago to participate in a giant game of tag – the Robot Apocalypse event….

Yeah, I’m reverting to a teenager…

Glass:

The Pendant from “The Glass”

Last blog post, I talked about a special piece of glass I bought and showed you pictures of what I made with the glass.  One of those was this necklace:


It’s really quite simple – It’s a 5 x 1 inch piece of the glass, covered by a clear piece, and has a channel for the chain (the channel is created by inserting a piece of fiberglass paper between the layers of glass.  Firing in the kiln creates a gap). 

I have been getting a TON of compliments on this piece.  On Friday, I wore it….
·         I went to the cafeteria at work for a tea.  The girl working the register went on and on about it.  I’m putting a couple more – different sizes – into the kiln this week and she’s getting one.
·         After work, I went to the Studio at Rush Creek.  Irene – one of my mentors – commented on it.  This woman also works in glass!
·         After the studio, I went out.  A guy I was talking to – friend of a friend – reached over, and lifted it from my next to look at.
·         Same night, the female bartender also made comments on it.  I told her that if I was ever back there – I’d bring her one!

In Progress

Since I’m on the subject of glass…

I like taking pictures of my in progress work.

One of these days, I’ll actually bring my good camera, take several shots along the way, and put together a nicely written piece, with a photo montage taking people through my creative process…..

Here’s picture of what I have going right now:


·         Left:  a nine inch square that has been covered with diagonal strips of various blue glasses.  I got this idea from seeing a piece someone else was doing at a studio.  I’m not copying him verbatim – don’t worry – this is more “influenced by”
·         Middle:  seven pendants from “the glass” in varying sizes.  The white bits sticking out from one end are pieces of fiber paper.  This will create a channel – gap in the glass – during firing that can be used for the chain rather than having to glue on a bail.
·         Right:  another attempt at floating mosaic cut pieces on a bed of powdered glass.  I tried this with the special glass (see last blog post), but I didn’t use enough glass and it’s really hard to see it in that piece. Hopefully this piece will be better. 

I’ll post pictures of the completed pieces in the next post.

Pricing

I’ve been asked to put a piece on consignment at the Studio.  I also have someone at work who is very interested in a larger piece of mine.  This is the piece he likes:


This is actually my FIRST large piece in what I call “my style”.  (See previous blog posts in which I talk about that style)...

I told a friend that someone wanted it and explained my fixation on not wanting to give up any of my art.  He asked me if I had a place for it at home.  I told him that, honestly, it didn’t fit my house and that there was no way I could display it due to cats.  He told me that I should take good pictures, sell it and use the money to buy more glass!

Which brings me to:  what do I price it at?  Nobody wants to pay artist prices for a quilt.  I’ve discussed that before – but glass is more mainstream art with a better market.  I asked one of my mentors in the glass art world. 

She said “$250.00”. 

Bold and blunt like that.

I don’t know… I’m scared.

Comments?

Fabric

Kanzashi Flowers

My wonderful friend Cathy taught a class at our quilt group today on the Japanese folder fabric flower technique called Kanzashi.  We made three different flowers.

Cathy is very organized with this.  She had tool kits put together for us, sample fabrics, etc., etc.  Only person I know who owns more glue guns than I do!!

I only took pictures of the flowers that I’m proud of… J

These are done in a celery green dupioni silk.   The largest is about 3 ½ inches and the smallest about 2 ½ inches.



Jo’s Little Women Group

My participation in the group is suffering greatly…. It’s this danged good social life!

I haven’t done the last two months quilts and class is next Tuesday. 

I got one block (of nine, plus sashing and bordering) done today. 


The quilt – as I mentioned – is nine of these blocks.  The block is 5 ½ inches.  I forgot to look at finished size of quilt, but I’d say about 22 to 25 square given that block size.  Its name is Raspberry Swirl.  The suggested fabric choice is reds for the color and then beige/tan neutrals.  I’m doing mine in two different pinks (didn’t have enough of this one) and will alternate the blocks.  This pink is more hot pink with a slight pattern.  The other pink is a dusty rose color, also with a small pattern.

There are many little pieces in this block.  I’m quite proud to say that I did very little ripping, and managed to precision piece it to the right size!



No comments:

Post a Comment